Monday 10 October 2011

...What Has Happened to Manners and Basic Social Customs

I thought about this actually a while ago, but I never really got around to writing it. Nor did I have enough things to talk about to make it worth while. Until the other day. So, without further delay...

Most of us have grown up in households where it is customary to try and be polite to everyone - your narcissistic mother, your lazy father, your shrill sister, your druggie brother, your strict teachers, your evil neighbours, your questionable family friends etc. You greet them with warmth when you see them and you say goodbye with a smile on your face. You say "please" when you want something and you say "thank you" when you receive it. You hold the door open for someone walking behind you and you say "sorry" when you accidentally slam it in their face. You don't point at people across the street and nor should you look down at the ground when talking to someone. These actions however are not set in stone. You are not forced to follow them. It's just social customs.

But just because there is nothing forcing you to do it doesn't mean you shouldn't. I've grown up all my life knowing that "please", "thank you" and "sorry" are very important words. These words do miraculous things (behold!) - "pass the salt" and "bring me my tea" just makes you sound like a demanding bitch but adding a "please" at the end of either of them makes you sound like a nicer person/demanding bitch. Small things like these make a dramatic difference. Maybe you don't believe in the power of these words yourself, but the rest of us do. It doesn't kill you to say them - after a while they just naturally tag along at the end of sentences. By using these sort of words and following basic social customs, people are more willing to do things for you or perceive you as a nicer person (it's something that reciprocates too). Through them, you show gratitude and sincerity. Those words could be what gets you a job at your favourite clothes store, a new car for your birthday or just a cup of freshly made coffee by your mother. Useful words - use them.

What annoys me the most (that has been recently drawn to my attention by a discussion in a car) is when someone doesn't or refuses to talk to another person when they try to make conversation, especially in person. You may not like this person or you may think that there is no need to talk to him or her because you'll never see them again, but it doesn't give you the right to ignore them. They are still human beings, just like you (hopefully). The fact that they are there and trying to engage in a talk with you means that you should at least have the courtesy to say something back. Who cares if they are bragging about how good their grades are or how their boyfriend or girlfriend is so hot. Who cares if they're your mate's date that you'll probably never see them again. You still need to show some respect, even if you don't actually respect or care about them.  There are a few people that I don't particularly like or know that I won't see them again in the future, but I still make an effort to (or at least try) listen to and talk to them. If you really didn't like them that much, you probably shouldn't be hanging out together in the first place.

No one expects you to learn every well-mannered action like it is some chore or task. Just at least use the common ones that you yourself would like people to use with you.

2 comments:

  1. Common courtesy is nice. Please, thank you, sorry is very important I agree. However I think I often come off as rude because I have a problem with unspoken codes of conduct that seem incredibly superfluous and also which I might not know lol. Like when I was 7 I went to a white friend's house for dinner and got told off for licking the knife o_o how was I supposed to know you weren't supposed to do that?! ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I guess what I'm saying is that everyone knows the basics to please thank you etc and therefore should follow them. But whether it is rude not to dance three times before entering your home is a custom that is hard to figure out unless a mistake is made first. (Maybe for you its rude not to enter your room if there is not a nerdy book in your hand :))

    ReplyDelete