Monday 8 August 2011

...Why Mainstream Music Has Been Taken Over By 348594395 Songs About Finding Girls in Clubs or Telling You to Dance on the Floor (As If There's Nothing Else to Do).

Many "cool" people frown upon mainstream music - you know, 'cos what they're listening to is so much better. You hear those people complain "Oh, drats, -insert some band name here- has sold out and gone mainstream. That sucks". I never really understood why mainstream was so bad. It consisted of a relatively wide range of  genres, although mostly it's just pop or rock. It never really bothered me that much - I listen to what I like, a bit of this and a bit of that. But it's starting to bother me, for a variety of reasons.

Why has almost everything turned electropopy? What happened to good old normal, instrumental music where hardly anyone relied on auto tune or excessive track editing? Now almost everything you hear on the radio is just some sort of dance number with synthetic beats and music. And with these comes the shocking and uninspiring lyrics. They're all about clubs, finding someone who's DTF and drinking until you see stars, during the day. I swear originality has decreased by like 500% (Where Them Girls At?, Who's That Chick?, Who's That Girl? for example). I'm pretty sure there's other things to sing about.

Furthermore, why has everyone turned so electropopy? Remember the good old days where Enrique Iglesias sung "Hero" and touched everyone's hearts with it's great lyrics? Now he's going around telling girls that "tonight, I'm f*cking you". Remember when Christina Aguilera sung ballads with her powerful voice? "Not Myself Tonight" was just an appalling song about a good girl being bad for one night. Yeah yeah, they might be just trying to go with the flow but seriously, stay true to who you are and what type of music you sing. That way your nice RnB track or power ballad stands out among the crowd of idiotic dance music. Look how well Adele is doing. She doesn't need the bass to drop or sample a song from 1984 - she just uses her voice and sings.

What Adele also does not need is to wear something which we can barely call clothes and dance promiscuously in her music videos either (although I'm not sure I would want to see that). A lot of mainstream music videos now are full of hot girls in skimpy outfits, dancing around poles or in some sort of situation which allows them to be sprayed by water and what not. Okay, it is enticing for a while but not really worth all the respect you lose.

And what has happened to all the good, meaningful music? Where's all the "You and Me's" or "Here Without You's"? I'm guessing they have been muffled and drowned out in the craze of dance music. There's only a few good alternative rock song that becomes popular every now and then. What we are mostly being exposed to now are songs with meaningless lyrics, sung by people who can barely sing without some sort of electronic alteration - and the only reason they're popular is because people mindlessly enjoy it and let it get overplayed on the radio (seriously, what the hell is wrong with radio stations? I swear, if I hear the words "I heard your heart singing love, love, love", I'm going to stab the radio with a pen. That is blue. Made out of plastic. Half melted in the sun. And then chuck it out the window (an open window of course, I don't want to break glass))

I must admit some songs are rather catchy and there's definitely a few dance songs that stand out due to their amazing lyrics or due to their originality. But if I were to choose to listen to music from this decade or from the last decade, I'd definitely choose the music from last one. You can listen to whatever you want - just bear in mind that music is not what it used to be. I mean, if even Rebecca Black or T Pain can get famous, it's quite clear that the music industry has obviously gone mad.




3 comments:

  1. you answered your own question. many people do not like their favourite bands and musicians 'selling out' to the mainstream because they tend to make trashy music (generalising grossly here btw).

    "Somebody take me back to the days
    Before this was a job, before I got paid
    ....
    And back when I was rappin’ for the hell of it
    But now a days we rappin’ to stay relevant"

    ReplyDelete
  2. But they've still stuck to rap and not added autotune and stuff, correct?

    What was my question? There are some people who have sold out to mainstream and still produce what they used to produce, except less indie/metal etc. Doesn't mean they all switched their drums and guitar for a synthesiser

    ReplyDelete