Monday 15 August 2011

...Why Cords/String/-Insert Similar Object Here- Seem To Always Tangle Even When You've Taken So Many Precautions For Them Not To

Okay so I'm going to admit that I'm gonna cheat today's post. I just got home. I'm tired and since I have this little case of OCD, I refuse to postpone my post till tomorrow (it will ruin my Monday streak!). Therefore, I am going to have a short, scientific post today.

We all have cords or cord-like objects. Have you ever wondered why they always seem to bunch together? Like I would leave my cables and stuff on the carpet and when I come back they're like all tangled up. Even though I (obviously) did not purposely do it myself. It's either a knot has formed or two or more cords have just decided to entwine and make your life miserable.

So, in my speedy preparation for this scientific topic, I've found some evidence that may help solve this mystery that we're all dying to figure out (well, at least I am).

Scientific experiments have shown that cords between a specific length are more prone/guaranteed to be tangled after being tumbled or moved. According to livescience.com, "digital photos and video of the tumbling strings revealed: Strings shorter than 1.5 feet (.46 meters) didn't form knots; the likelihood of knotting sharply increased as string length went from 1.5 feet to 5 feet (.46 meters to 1.5 meters); and beyond this length, knotting probability leveled off."

Because cords are round-shaped (unless you're special with cuboid-like cords - no idea how that works), there's also something about them having less friction control. So, just like the idea that if you shake something in a box, the contents will move, parts of the cords move and then end up tangling around each other. And then you take your earphones out of your bag or pocket to find that they are all tangled up and you spend a good old 30 seconds to 15 minutes (depending on your cord-untangling speed) trying to make it straight and usable again.

However what I have found does not explain how the cords in my room decide to make my life difficult. I don't have pets. I may have dragged one by accident when pulling my phone from the charger but that's it. AJDshafksdfhaskd. It's okay. I'll let you know when I've found where the little cruel cord dwarfs have been hiding in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment